It The Lazy JB Program:
The program at Lazy JB is plain and simple. We use the tools available in the beef industry to produce cattle that work in all phases of the beef industry.
• Our cattle are raised to survive the stress of high altitude. They calve unassisted in open pastures. The cows and their calves are summered in the mountains at 8400 to 9500 feet. Lazy JB females raise healthy, heavy calves without creep. Bull and heifer calves are developed at Meaker & Son Feedlot, Montrose, CO.
• We PAP test all our sale bulls and heifers. Dr. Tim Holt, Colorado State University, performs this test for us. He is the leading expert on High Altitude Disease (HAD), also known as brisket disease. Lazy JB has been PAP testing for over 30 years.
• Another tool used in the breeding and selection of cattle is EPDS. We prefer balance over selection emphasizing one trait over another.
• Embryo transfer work is used on our top producing cows. Dr. Tom Rea is our embryologist.
• Jeff and Brandon are responsible for the AI work on the ranch. Over 65% of our herd is AI'd to the top bulls in Angus breed. The remainder of the herd is bred naturally to herd bulls that meet our stringent requirements.
• Ultrasound has been used in the herd for the last 12 years. Our current certified ultrasound technician is Jason Anderson, Riverside, Utah.
• Jeff, Kathi, Brandon & Britney manage the show barn preparing the show calves from halter breaking to show ring. They also conduct clinics for young people interested in showing cattle. Contact us for further information regarding clinics
Our goals for the future are to continue to produce efficient, functional, eye appealing cattle that will work in the pasture, feedlot and show ring.
Raising and developing cattle at high altitude is not a hobby; it's our business. We don't ship the cattle to lower altitudes for development. We retain only the top producing females in the herd. A combination of all the tools available to us has helped us provide the quality cattle that our customers have come to recognize as Lazy JB cattle.
Lazy JB may be small in numbers,
but we our BIG on customer service!
"Constant innovation and a vision for the future has brought us success and placed us at the forefront of the beef industry."